If you're planning a fall picnic, glass jars make the perfect container for a to-go salad. These come together easily. You can use the lettuce of your choice. I like spinach with this combination of ingredients. On a hot day, you can bet these are more refreshing than mayo-based potato salad.
Save money and take one to work. It will beat one of those wilted store bought concoctions.
For more tips, visit my website at mimipearcedeisgns.com
APPLE HARVEST JAR SALAD Ingredients for the salad:
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce or other greens of choice
8 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
2 apples diced
Juice from ½ of a lemon
1 cup dried cranberries
4 ounces crumbled blue cheese or feta cheese
1 cup pecans coarsely chopped and toasted
4 quart-size mason jars
Ingredients for the cider vinaigrette dressing
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons maple syrup
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1. Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup until completely combined.
2. Place a few tablespoons of dressing at the bottom of each jar.
3. Place diced apple in a small bowl and squeeze lemon over the bowl. Toss apple in lemon juice to coat (this will prevent browning).
4. Divide salad ingredients among the jars, layering in the following: chicken, apple, cranberries, cheese, pecans. Twist on the top to seal your salads and refrigerate up to 3 or 4 days.
5. When ready to serve, empty containers of the jar onto a large plate or bowl – the dressing will be on top! Toss to coat, if desired!